Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Champlain's Dream by David Hackett Fischer

This book's full title is Champlain's Dream: The Visionary Adventurer who Made a New World in Canada. The author is David Hackett Fischer. I have read other histories of the French in Canada, but presented in an interesting and very different manner. French history in Canada has, of course, talked about Champlain, but I had never read a book just about him. He was a much more interesting character than I had imagined.

I read a paperback version, so there are no recent reviews. There was a good review in the G&M by Jeffrey Simpson in 2009. There is an early one praising the author in the New York Times by Max Boot.

There is an interview of David Hackett Fischer through Random House on YouTube. In this video David Hackett Fischer talks about what drew him to Champlain and his research experiences. This is short video of some 6 minutes. There is also a talk by Fischer at the College of the Atlantic of Maine. This video is 1 and one half hours. His talk starts just over 4 minutes into the video.

On my website is how to find this book on Amazon if you care to purchase it. See Fischer. Also, this book review and other books I have reviewed are on my website at Book Reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment