Monday, June 1, 2020

Inheritors of the Earth by Chris Thomas

This book’s full title is Inheritors of the Earth: How Nature Is Thriving in an Age of Extinction. I loved this book for its optimism. I must admit that I think that humans will survive the damage we have done to our beloved earth. Something will come along. I also think that calling the present age the Anthropocene is rather arrogant, but I guess time will tell.

He talks about how nature is coping with humans on earth and doing so surprisingly well. He talks about how we have not stopped other live from diversifying or how we have help diversification along (but perhaps rather unknowingly). Life has always adapted and there is no reason to think this will stop because of us. Conservationists seem to arbitrarily chose what past to return to. He argues that we are producing a new Pangea.

To gain further understanding of a subject, I like to read other peoples reviews. Also, the other thing to do, and probably my favourite is to hear an author talk at several venues. I gained a lot from this book and also from listening to Chris Thomas speak.

Gaia Vince does a great review in The Guardian. Arne Mooers reviews this book at Science Mag. Christoph Kueffer does a very thorough review of this book at Research Gate. To be able to read this, you should download it as a PDF. Christoph Keuffer talks about this book, the problems, and limitations with the book as he sees it.

Chris Thomas speaks on De Balie. He starts speaking at around 3.50 minutes in to 40 minutes. Then Hans de Kroon, professor Plant Ecology at the Radboud University speaks. Half way down this page is a short video (3.50 minutes) with Chris Thomas on CBC about how to help species with Climate change. Chris Thomas talks on Brain Bar.

An index of the books I have reviewed are on my website at Books. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk . The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment