Monday, February 13, 2012

The Moral Landscape by Sam Harris

Sam Harris thought that there was a problem that Science has nothing to say on the subject of human values. Harris in this book urges us to think about morality in terms of human and animal well-being. Who can disagree with this as it sounds and is logical.

What I do not like about Sam Harris is that he considers himself on of the new atheist, along with Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens. The problem with both Dawkins and Hitchens is that they have made a religion out of atheism. They both strongly believe that “if you do not think like they do you are wrong” (or stupid, you choice).

I strongly believe in free speech. I have never found anyone else that thinks anything like I do. .So, you could see why I really believe in free Speech. You might also see why I have problems with Dawkins’ and Hitchens’ idea of free speech, which is only free as long people say what they should (according to their ideas).

In ending the book, Harris says that science can have something to say about values (because values relate to facts about the well-being of conscious creatures). I agree. However, Harris goes on to say that if you have values that do not relate to the well-being of conscious creatures, he is not interested in hearing from you. Your thoughts could be of no possible interest to anyone. (This is again with the – if you do not think like I do, you are wrong.)

There is a lot to agree with in the book. However, I think that we have only just begun to understand our universe. I do not believe that Dawkins, Hitchens and Harris are men who know all the answers to God, the Universe and all that.

The Globe and Mail has a Book Review where John Horgan dislikes the idea that science can say anything about morality, but likes the religion bashing stuff.

On YouTube, you can find a lecture by Sam Harris on the ideas in his book. It is a little long at almost 2 hours.

On my website is how to find this book on Amazon if you care to purchase it. See Harris. Also, this book review and other books I have reviewed are on my website at Book Reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment