Thursday, July 30, 2026

The Golden Road by William Dalrymple

This book’s full title is The Golden Road: How Ancient India Transformed the world. I knew the basic outline of the history he talks about already, but this is such a wonderful book. The book is clear and a delight to read.

I was attracted to this book because I knew little of Indian history. I did know that what we called Arabic numerals actually came from India. I knew India had developed all sort of things in math. I also knew a bit about the British East Indian company and their time in India. So, I knew very little about Indian history.

Ken Powell writes a review on his Blog called Write Out Loud Blog. The review of this book on Medium is quite long but interesting. The review is sort of negative, but it includes a reply from William Dalrymple and a response from Kiran Kumbhar who wrote the initial review. There is also an interesting and very readable review in the Guardian.

Will Dalrymple talks at the Smithsonian National Museum of Asian Art. His speech starts around the 3.22 minute mark. It is a very interesting lecture. William Dalrymple speaks at the British Library about his book. William Dalrymple speaks at Commonwealth Club of World Affairs of California about an Empire of Ideas: How Ancient India Transformed the World. Great interview.

An index of the books I have reviewed are on my website at Books. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk . The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment