Wednesday, January 24, 2018

The Ends of the World by Peter Brannen

This book's full title is The Ends of the World: Volcanic Apocalypses, Lethal Oceans, and our Quest to Understand Earth's Past Mass Extinctions. I have always been fascinated by the destruction of live in the past.

I do not think that most people know how unforgiving nature can be. There are tales each year of people getting lost in Algonquin Park. They go out for a walk but do not know how to walk in a straight line in the wilderness. People can get lost in a large area of woods quite easily. When I was a kid on my Grandparent's farm, which was mostly woodland, I meet people out for a walk but got lost and did not know how to get back to their car.

People that live in cities have no appreciation of the power of nature. I sure most people do not recognize how lucky we are that we currently live in a rather stable climatic time. It is hard to say if and when this might change.

There are some good reviews of this book on Amazon. There are some decent reviews on Good Reads, but most people knew nothing about the subject before reading this book and it shows. This site on One Wrold Publications is interesting as it pulls reviews from other sources.

Elizabeth A. Bell on Science Mag writes a review on this book. This review on the Economist looks at this book and Inheritors of the Earth: How Nature Is Thriving in an Age of Extinction by Chris Thomas.

Peter Brannen wrote an article in the The Atlantic about why we are not in a time of another mass extinction. Peter Brannen talks at Google. Peter Brannen does a talk by on C-Span . Lauren Sallan talks on TED Talks talks about mass extinctions.

An index of the books I have reviewed are on my website at Books. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk . The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment