Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Darius by Pierre Briant

This book’s full title is Darius in the Shadow of Alexander. I enjoyed the book, although it was rather slow in places and there really is not a lot we know about Darius. It is hard to read at times, but he is a person from history that I know little about. It would appear that little is really know about him historically.

It is certainly true that history is written by the victors. Certainly, the Greeks have bad mouthed Darius a lot, but you would think that there might possibly some Iranian or Persian sources available about Darius. The book is not an easy read and I kept thinking it might shed some light eventually on Darius, but it never seemed to get there.

There is one good book review on this Amazon Site by JPS. Jennifer Finn on Bryn Mawr Classical Review sounds like a scholar reviewing a scholarly work. She generally approves of this book. Her review is almost as hard to read and the book. But, what could I really expect? This favourite review site of mine of Good Reads seem to favour a review by Georgette Gouveia. This is a great review and it seems to be the only one on this site. Tom Holland also does a great review on the Spectator. It was hard to find good reviews. I had to search passed the first google page and this is unusual.

Since the author is French and the book was originally written in French, there is no English videos with the author or any English language discussion of the book in a video. There is an English Wikipedia entry for the author.

An index of the books I have reviewed are on my website at Books. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk . The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment