Tuesday, April 26, 2016

The Rise and Fall of American Growth by Robert J. Gordon

This book's full title is The Rise and Fall of American Growth: The U.S. Standard of Living since the Civil War. Robert Gordon is a Professor at Northwestern University in the Economics Department. Although I love the quote from Peter Thiel, a venture capitalist, who famously said: "We wanted flying cars but instead we got 140 characters," I do wonder about how all the current progress into space will affect us?

You can read the first chapter online at Ted Talk. There is a review of this book by Paul Krugman at the NY Times. Paul Krugman is not my favourite economist, but the review is worth reading. There is also a good review in the Economist. They think that Robert Gordon has underplayed the Third Industrial Revolution. There are again great reviews at Good Reads.

Robert Gordon gave a Ted Talk. Robert Gordon's thesis is talked about on PBS News Hour . On C-Span, Brian Lamb does a Q&A with Robert Gordon.

Also, an index of the books I have reviewed are on my website at Books. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk . The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment